Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Thailand- Phuket

Our last stop! I realized only after going through my Phuket pictures that I didn't take as many pictures of this amazing place as I should have! But when Songkran is happening, it limits what you take out of your hotel door. But we'll get to that! Our hotel was incredibly beautiful and my favorite by far. As soon as we put our bags down we headed for the city center. After walking down Bangla road we stopped for food (not the bugs pictured) and of course more shopping and massages. 




Night one comprised of dinner and a show. The show was awful, I'm sorry, just awful. We were all dead tired from our travels and the only thing that kept Somaiya and I awake was swatting away all mosquitos. Notice I said Somaiya and I, the guys saw the inside of their lids pretty much the entire show. Before the show we didn't like what we saw with the animals and the handlers and it gave us an uneasy feeling almost immediately. Definitely a bust!


After the show we headed back down Bangla road for some entertainment and even found a hip hop club.


Day 2 we spent half our day at the pool relaxing before the madness of Songkran began. Songkran is Thailand's New Year water festival and it happens all over the country. We'd heard about it but really had no idea what we were getting into. It can only be described as the biggest water fight you will ever experience in your life. It was nuts!!! It took us back to being kids and we were surprised that there was not ONE fight. When we told our friends and family about how crazy it was, they were sure something like this could never happen in America sadly. If you didn't want it to get wet, you did not leave the hotel with it. So I was happy to have my Go Pro but most of what I got was video. Not 60 seconds after getting out of the cab, I was wet. 


Somaiya and I soon realized that the little water squirters we had we NOT going to cut it. We had to get bigger because it was like bringing a knife to a gun fight. The only thing that was a little disappointing is that we had to pay to refill our guns. It wasn't much money but for all us and filling up quite frequently, it added up fast. 


My eyebrows didn't stand a chance!


Day 3, our last and final day, it was more of the same! We spent the day at war. We didn't think we could handle another day, it took so much energy!! But we couldn't resist and ended up back in the thick of it. I can't tell you how much fun we had pegging people in the face. It was a great way to end our trip. 


Before we left for the airport, we all got one last massage. Somaiya and I wanted a legit spa experience and it was worth every baht! We did our best to get into the cab without getting wet. Even though it was 10 o'clock, Songkran was still going on and we were not safe. 


Thailand was a once in a lifetime trip and I feel so blessed to have been able to experience it and with these people. I refused to let pregnancy slow me down and I'm so grateful it didn't. I would recommend Thailand to anyone who could handle the flight!






No comments: